Arts @ Large:
- Provides ongoing, quality arts experiences for students that builds an arts-rich school climate, which encourages the inclusion of art and music specialists in school staffing plans.
- Forges sustainable partnerships with artists, arts and community organizations to enhance in-classroom and after school learning, and motivate ALL students to higher academic achievement.
- Provides arts education experiences in an inclusiveenvironment designed to motivate students with diverse learning and physical abilities.
- Helps teachers build skills to integrate performing, visual, and literary arts into all subjects in a manner sensitive to the needs of a diverse student population.
The arts are essential because they:
- Are a unique languagethat all people use to communicate regardless of age, ability,ethnicity or gender.They allow people to move beyond individual differences such as race, society, culture, education and economic level.
- Are symbol systems like letters and numbers and are equally important to a person's development.
- Allow every child to learn.
- Connect the learning of both content and process.
- Develop independence and collaboration.
- Provide opportunities for self expression,creative problem solving and critical thinking.
- Improve student achievement -enhancing test scores, attitudes and social skills.
- Provide authentic assessment opportunities.
- Create a bridge between motivation, instruction, assessment and application - leading to deeper understanding.
- Integrate mind, body and spirit thereby addressing the whole child.
- Provide immediate feedback and opportunities for reflection.
- Exercise and develop higher order thinking skills including analysis, synthesis, and problem solving.
- Address the multiple intelligences and various learning styles.